Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kao San Rd Walkabout

Last week I had plans to meet Nuch for dinner on Kao San Rd. I was already downtown and got there a couple hours early, so I had a chance to explore the ever-expanding Kao San Rd.

Originally, the backpacker activities in Banglampoo district were restricted to the 500 meters of Kao San, but in the last 10 years, these restaurants, bars, and guest houses have taken over the the 2 streets that run parallel and the 2 streets that run perpendicular to the North end. Next stop is the river.

Here's a picture of Pra Atit Park, which is set along the river - the final frontier of Kao San Rd. I came across a group of students participating in a Jazz competition. I was happy to see this, as public performances (other than traditional Thai dance) are hard to find in Bangkok.

Still at the park with Rama 8 bridge in the background.


I think this guy was promoting a new horror movie.


Like America's Jason, Michael, and Freddie, Thailand has it's share of ghosts that are known by name and passed down from generation to generation. It's just a hunch, but this may be the ghost that comes back and sits on your shoulders. I'm basing this on a movie I saw where a college student sees his female classmate raped, but does nothing to help. Distraught, this girl decides to kill herself. The guy, who witnessed it all, is shamefully relieved and hopes the experience is behind him - no such luck. He's racked with guilt and can't eat - yet, somehow he keeps gaining weight. Finally, one day his Polaroid camera falls off a shelf and accidentally takes a picture of him along with... the girl's ghost sitting on his shoulders.


This is the old fort that stands at the park. It used to guard the entrance to the Chao Phraya river.



Also along the river, I came across these strange nets that completely cover the building next to Pra Atit park. They're not there to keep the pigeons out. These nets were set up after a bomb attack last year that came from the river. Apparently, some guys rowed up and tossed hand grenades and pipe bombs at the headquarters of what was then the anti-government propaganda TV station. Since, the "judicial coup" in December, they are, now, the pro-government propaganda TV station, but still need the nets.


From the park, I walked along the river to take in the sunset before heading back to Kao San Rd.


A while back, as Kao San continued to grow, it swallowed up a Shell gas station that was just around the corner. I remember it being empty for years until not too long ago someone set up a restaurant there.

A romantic dinner for two next to the 95 Octane.

This is the Buddha statue next to the Kao San Rd police station. I'm sure I've walked passed it a hundred times before, but have never really noticed it. It must have gotten a new, shiny silver robe that happened to catch my eye.

I did eventually meet Nuch for dinner, where we had some seafood and shared our table with some British retirees that spend 9 months in Spain and 3 months travelling around Southeast Asia, but I promised to stop taking dinner and food pictures. So, here's a picture of my night cap.

No comments: