Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Eureka!!!

While at the beach this past weekend, I made a startling discovery.

I've been reading a book about the history of astronomy, and the first couple chapters were about Copernicus and Galileo and their discovery that the world is round. Proof of this was demonstrated by the fact that a ship coming towards shore appears tip of the mast first, then the sail, and finally, the hull. The book then makes the point that if the world were flat, the ship would first appear as an indistinct spot and slowly appear in more and more details.


Anyway, with that in mind I realized that the clouds that I saw along the horizon were not hovering just above the water. In fact, what I was seeing was only the tops of clouds with the bottom floating below the horizon. So, it's true - the world is round!!!

No comments: