Thursday, November 26, 2009

Karma Works In Mysterious Ways

Last Sunday, I was in between business trips and had just 24 hours in Bangkok before I was on the road again. I had planned to veg out and catch up on some serious couch time, as well as watch replays of Gator games via the Internet.

Wishful thinking...

Somehow, I was cajoled into going with Nuch on some errands, which should have taken little more than an hour - a small sacrifice, I though, as a dutiful husband. Little did I know that she had planned a side trip to a Chinese temple, so we could get our Karma Credits in order before the new year. Usually, I'm a pretty good sport about these kind of things and will tag along for the cultural experience, but when I only had one day of "me" time, I did what any other grown man would do - I went along and pouted the entire time.

I also took some pictures. This is the main temple where you can see the golden idols in the background and monks praying along either side.


This part was interesting. For some reason, we had to buy lucky oil and pour it into the special basin to ensure that the magic candle would burn forever. You can see the lady's arm pouring it in the middle of the picture.



It may look like a magic candle, but it's really a magic piggy bank. As the oil is poured in, it overflows, goes down the plastic tube, and into the metal bin, where it is recycled and sold again. Why didn't I think of that.

The candles aren't much different, as the melted wax is collected, re-molded, and re-sold.

Needless to say, I was a poor sport and brewed internally at this colossal waste of time. Which begs the question, was my negative Karmic energy to blame for the Nuch getting her car booted for parking illegally, while we were at the temple?



I say illegally, but we parked in front of a parking meter sign, but there was no one there to take our money. When the policeman came to unboot Nuch's car, we asked him about the sign. As he took our money, he told us, "there's a No Parking sing behind the tree, and someone needs to take that sign down."

No comments: