Monday, February 14, 2011

Language Of Love

Being the romantic guy that I am, I bought  Nuch a Valentine's Day teddy bear that smells like cotton candy at the airport on my way back from Singapore.



While she unwrapped it from the plastic bag, I put on a song by Pi Bang.  Pi Bang is the Thai version of an alternative or underground musician, and it was an older song, so I thought Nuch would be impressed with my knowledge of Thailand's musical, sub-culture.

After the first couple verses, Nuch asked why I had chosen this song.  She was obviously surprised, and I figured my 2 years with the Peace Corps and intimate knowledge of all things Thai were paying off. 

The first line of the chorus was "Kob Gan, Mai Dai".  I had listened to this song a hundred times before during my drives between Korat and Bangkok and had always liked it's slow, deep rhythm and Pi Bang's passionate baritone.  Yet, somehow, it was not until this moment that I realized that he was telling his girlfriend "Kob Gan, Mai Dai", or simply put ....

"We need to break up"




.... have you ever seen a teddy bear that smells like cotton candy?

No comments: