Monday, May 29, 2017

The Beautiful Game

There's no question that Football (soccer) is the world's most popular sport - outside of America. 

I follow "football" very casually.  When I first arrived in Thailand, I noticed that there were no televised US sports - primarily due to the the time difference, but also do to the dominant popularity of English Premier League Football.   Manchester United were the best at that time, so I adopted them as my "favorite" team.  Over the years, I have continued to follow the weekly scores and may watch the occasional match, but only if it happens to be playing at the pub or restaurant I'm at.  

Even though I may be surrounded by a hundred screaming fans, I, like most Americans, can't seem to get into it.  I think the reason is captured by the scores from an early February match day (forgot to post this, but better late than never).  Out of 10 teams playing, only 3 scored, and only 1 scored more than 1 goal.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................



No comments: