Monday, February 18, 2008

Market Railway Revisited

One of my first blog posts was a video of a market that was set up along (and on) a railway line. It was a video someone had sent to me, and I didn't know much about it - in fact, I was not even sure it was in Thailand (my only clue was the file name - Thai Market Train). Now, it's confirmed. The other day I was surfing the net and came across a couple of websites that gave the story of the Railway Market and I thought I'd pass it on. Basically, I'm too busy at work right now to write something original.







This first website has 2 videos. The first video is similar to the one I posted last year. The other was taken from the back of the train, as it went through the market. I don't know how wide the market it, but it's surprisingly long. Click Here to go to the webiste.


Here is the second website that gives the story of the market (Click Here). It's written by a guy named Richard Barrow, a teacher who has his own website/ blog, which is much more professional than mine. I think he's also a cloumnist/ contributor for the Nation newspaper.






Finally, here's an excerpt from another website, also by Richard Barrow, called http://www.thai-blogs.com/. Once again, much more professional, much more prolific, and definitely worth browsing through.


In Samut Songkram, there is a unique market that is held every day literally on the rail tracks. Just before the train arrives in the town, the market stallholders have to pull back their awnings and remove their produce from the tracks. They then have to repeat all of this when the train returns. Fortunately it is not a busy track. The train leaves four times and it arrives four times. The track is not part of the national network. It only runs between Samut Sakhon and Samut Songkram. You can do this easily as a day trip from Bangkok. I wrote a story about this a couple of years ago. I was back there again at the weekend to shoot a video of the train arriving at the station. Last time I was on the train. If you go to Bangkok Day Trips you can view my full story as well as view videos and photos of this location.

No comments: