Sunday, May 11, 2008

All The China in Thailand

Everyday on the way to work I pass a large open lot the size of several football fields. For the most part it has remained empty except for occasional entrepreneurs who have started little businesses. Last year someone set up a tent where they sold shoes that had been rejected from local shoe factories. Before that a corner of the lot was used for a car wash.

Last month someone had put up a make-shift tent along the sidewalk and was selling ceramic plates and vases. He was there for a while and then, one day the entire front side of the lot was filled with ceramics - a football field's worth of China. Business must have been good.

Here's a quick video.

Although I could use some new flatware and some vases to decorate my home, I have not shopped there yet. Nuch tells me to be wary of discounted Chinaware, as the cancer-causing dyes in the ceramics tend to fade into your food. I'll stick with my bachelor-era plastic plates for now.

No comments: