Sunday, November 23, 2008

Grilled Fish By The Canal

On a quiet Sunday with no where to go and nothing to do, you can usually find Nuch and I at a local grilled fish restaurant (aptly named, Grilled Fish) that sits next to a small canal.

Here's the kitchen. The fish are salted, so they don't burn as they're being grilled, and they're stuffed with garlic, lemon grass, and other herbs to give them flavor.


The food is cheap and tasty, and the traditional Thai homes along the canal make me feel like I've gone back in time.



To add to the feeling of nostalgia (or what I imagine would feel like nostalgia if I had actually been in Thailand 30 years ago), occasionally a boat will pass by with an old lady selling homemade sweets or steamed shellfish. The lady in this video was selling grilled duck - Peking style.



Lunch is served along with some somtam or Papaya Salad. Simply peel back the baked skin and dig in - beware of bones. I guess I've gotten used to eating food with the head still on.


When the food comes, the restaurant's cat comes.


Far from 5 stars, what Grilled Fish lacks in luxury it makes up for in hominess - accented by some one's laundry hanging up on the back deck.


I think I mentioned this before, but if I believed in reincarnation, and the Big Buddha said I was going back to Thailand, I would choose to come back as a beach dog. However, if all the beach dog spots were filled, my second choice would be a restaurant cat - hopefully, at Grilled Fish.

No comments: