Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Loy Kratong 2008

A little late, but here are some pictures from Loy Kratong - a traditional Thai holiday that comes during the full moon of the 12th lunar month. For Loy Kratong, Thais will go to a river or canal with a Kratong (a small float made of flowers) and "Loy" or float their kratong down the river.

Releasing your Kratong down a river is supposed to pay homage to the river and is symbolic of putting the past behind you, starting anew, making amends, or something like that.

More specifically:

1. To worship Lord Buddha in the Heaven.
2. To worship Lord Buddha’s footprint.
3. To give respect to the Goddess of Water.
4. To thank the rivers for their bounty and benefit for mankind.
5. To request the rivers to forgive the loathsome pollution made by man.
6. To launch and deliver wishes to distant relatives.
7. To remember one’s ancestors.
8. To be cleansed from sins and bad luck or to avert a catastrophe.
9. To make a wish for things to come true.

Loy Kratong has also become the Thai version of Valentine's Day (although Valentine's is celebrated too certain extent, as well).

Loy Kratong is particularly special for Nuch and I, as it's the day (three years ago) that Nuch asked me if I wanted to ask her to be my girlfriend. Of course, I said yes.

Here I am with our Kratong floating in the background.


With the river full of lighted Kratong's, it really is a beautiful sight - my camera can't do it justice so here are some other pics I found on the web.


Lighting lanterns has become a tradition in Chiang Mai.

No comments: