Monday, June 28, 2010

Grandpa Moody's 90th Birthday

There's not many people my age who can say that they still have 4 grandparents alive, kicking, and driving!!! Then, to attend two 90th birthday parties within 2 weeks of each other is almost unheard of.

Basically - with the total age of my grandparents at 345 years, I need to reassess my retirement plan.

This was on our last day as we were checking out of the hotel, but it will be the first photo.


Happy birthday to you....

Still a cute couple after all these years.


Here's grandpa with his book of memoirs from all the people he has touched and inspired throughout the years. Few people in this world have or could receive a gift like that.

Here's my contribution. I put it together to the tune of Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues

Grandpa’s in the basement
Sharing all his lessons
I’m with my cousins
Thinking about what he meant
He’s been around the world
Blue pants, grey shirt
Listen to what he learned
He retired just to go to work

Nine grand kids
Just something he did
Who knew then,
But they’re doing it again

You better duck when you come about
Don't try to change the wind
Just adjust your sail
Don’t hit the wrong nail
He’s got a dotted map
That marks his life’s trail

Going down to Antigo
Corn fields and county roads
Crop duster flying low
Across a dry prehistoric lake
Stopped to smell a skunk stank
Last lesson before we ate
Country Kitchen pancakes

Nine grands kids
On the way to Big Dip

Don’t forget McHenry, smell of coffee
Their old neighbor gave me candy
Garden rocks the size of me
Got a green glass stone
Dropped it on my big toe
Bozo and Cookie show
Bathroom books by Jacques Cousteau

Spring break, Beech Street
Unbirthday party
Ernie’s got the candy
Swiss Family jungle tree
Get burnt, get wet
Waffles and a sunset
Oscars and the Final Four
Easter bunny grocery bag

Nine grand kids
See what they did

Sound of Music, Music Man
Crazy Eights, Fan Tan
Wonder Wheel and ATC
Homemade ice cream brain freeze
Graham crackers in the morning
10 o’clock Little Debbies
Take it out easy
Bass Lake is smooth as glass in the evening

No comments: