Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Grandfather Watch

When my mom came to Thailand a few months ago, she brought some knickknacks from Florida to make our home feel more like home.  Among the little treasures, she brought my grandpa's watch.  It's about as basic as you can get when it comes to watches, but it suited by grandpa perfectly.  It was reliable, durable, economical, and it told the time.  



It was also set to beep every hour.  My grandpa is the only person I've ever known to use this feature.  I certainly never have - in fact, I've never worn a watch.  However, it's serving a special purpose now - one that I'm sure he never imagined.  

I'm not home that often and when I am, I'm either on the 3rd floor sleeping, on the 2nd floor watching TV, or downstairs talking with Nuch over dinner.  So, it's not like I hear it every hour on the hour.  But when it's quiet and I'm getting ready to go to work, doing something mundane like taking my dry-cleaning upstairs, or shutting things down before I go to bed, and my mind is in another place, I occasionally hear the little beep, telling me that it's the top of the hour and reminding me to pause for a moment and remember grandpa.



No comments: