Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Osaka Day Trip

Last weekend, I joined Nuch's flight to Osaka.  We left Friday night, arrived early Saturday and would have almost exactly 24 hours before checking out Sunday morning and flying back to Bangkok.


Here's a view, looking South, from our hotel window.  The city of Osaka was about 30 miles to the North, so with only 24 hours and Nuch needing some rest after an overnight flight, we spent our time near the hotel.


Our only goals for the trip were to try some ultra-fresh sushi for lunch and some Kobe steak for dinner.   This is the kind of lunch/dinner date you can have when the hotel is free, the flight is nearly free, and you can get over the guilt of leaving your cats in the kennel for a few days.






I had a sake a sampler and for the first time, I noticed a difference in taste from one sake to another - although I'm still not sure which one I like the most.  Must do more testing.




After lunch, Nuch did her make-up shopping


and then, dragged me into a coffee shop


after some rest, it was time for teppanyaki on the 52nd floor of our hotel



I thought our meal was finished before it started when the chef threw a live shrimp on the grill.  Fortunately, Buddhism has a few loopholes, and because we didn't knowingly order a live shrimp, it's brief suffering won't cost us any karma points.


Here's my Kobe steak


and Nuch's abalone, which was tasty, but for a price similar to a steak, I can't say I'd order it again


Here's our chef in action



After a good night's sleep, we were up again and on the way home.




I didn't take any pictures, but Nuch's in-flight manager was kind enough to upgrade me to business class on both legs - making the short trip exponentially more enjoyable.

No comments: