Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, America

This past Saturday the American Chamber of Commerce held its annual 4th of July Party.

Christmas,Thanksgiving, and Easter tend to come and go in Thailand, but the 4th of July has been the one holiday I have followed religiously, attending 8 of the last 9 parties.

AmCham does a good job putting it together. Although half a world away, they create a genuine, All-American atmosphere that makes you forget your foreign, almost alien surroundings.

First and foremost is the food. Local eateries are invited to serve up American dishes. Here is the Bourbon St. stall.



Hot dogs, mozzarella sticks, hamburgers, ribs, buffalo wings, nachos, jambalaya...


Uncle Sam even showed up.

This guy is the MC every year, but I think he should start thinking about retirement. The last couple years he has started to lose his patience and tends to get frustrated and yell at the kids when they're not following the egg toss rules.

America loves rules - making rules, discussing rules, explaining the rules, and changing rules, as well as bending and breaking the rules. It really is a unique characteristic in the world - compared to someplace like Thailand where although they have rules, it's really just the person with the most money who makes the rules. Makes me homesick.


America loves guns, too. It's a bit small, but this guy's shirt reads - "Glock - when you positively have to shoot some one in the face - Accept No Substitute"

Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that America loves "the right" to own guns. Many Thais have asked me why the law lets American people have guns. I've told them that it's so the guy with the most money doesn't forget the American people when he makes the rules. I don't know if that's exactly what our forefathers had intended, but it seems to make whoever asked stop and think.



The annual 4th of July raffle, which is almost like gambling except that based on Murphy's law you're much less likely to win anything. Murphy's Law states that the only time you win a raffle is when, due to unrelated circumstances, you leave the party early and in absentia, you are forced to forfeit your prize. We stayed to the end this year and returned home empty-handed.


Here's the newly designed American flag. Instead of 50 stars for the 50 states, there are 54 stars representing each of our Corporate Sponsors. The United States of Multi-National Conglomerates.

I mentioned an egg toss already. There was also a Tug o' War for the young'uns.

Being overseas, and basically, always surrounded by foreigners, there's a line of people waiting around the world to tell me what's wrong with America. But, when it's the only home you got, you take the good with the bad and love them both.

So, this year I decided to take part in America's traditional "lesser of 2 evils" contest and registered to vote. Actually, I'm excited about this year's election, compared to years past and so are the Thais. There are daily updates on the US election every evening, and people are always asking me who I prefer, who do I think will win, or how will this year's election affect the world. From an international perspective, I think people (Thais and perhaps people from other countries) are ready for a change, a new hope. They also want to know what a Super Delegate is.

Food, flags, politics and raffle tickets aside, the main reason I make such an effort to attend the 4th of July party is because it's the one time each year that my American friends in Bangkok (former co-workers, acquaintances, friends of friends, best buddies, and even some people I don't like) all get together at the same time to catch up, introduce new wives, girlfriends, or kids, joke, laugh, vent, reminisce, and finally, make plans to meet again the following year.


Unlike the last 2 years, this year it didn't rain.

and the party closed with a respectable fireworks display.


although the photos were a little less than respectable.



God Bless America!

Slightly related - Nuch, Carl, and I parked at the Sirikit Convention Center, which is near the field where the party was held. The office of my old company (KIAsia) happens to be there and by chance, I found a hard to find space in their parking spot. This is 2 weeks after my old boss, Dr. Saisawan, who I haven't seen or talked to in 5 years calls me out of the blue during a business trip to Korat and invites me out for a drink. Synchronicity?

No comments: