Friday, October 17, 2008

Auntie Somjai

After this blog, I think I will have covered all my regular lunch hangouts.

Auntie Somjai's restaurant, called Somjai's, is in an institution in the Hua Talay district of Korat. It's a Thai curry shop that has been around for 40 years. She talks about the days when lunch cost 5 cents and American soldiers, who were based in Korat during the Vietnam War, would come into her shop daring each other to eat the spicy dishes.

Here's Auntie Somjai with Nuch. She's 75 years old and spends all day in her shop. Although she has a team of people to take care of things, she enjoys mingling with customers, exchanging gossip, and giving updates on her most recent temple tours and the donations she has made.




Whenever Nuch joins me there, Auntie Somjai always has a gift for her. Today, she had an ivory ring that she bought at a temple in Surin. She said that if it fits, it's destiny and Nuch must accept it. Guess what - it fit. Just a sweet lady. Usually, I eat there alone and Somjai will always sit next down with me to find out how business is going, but I think she really wants to know where Nuch is and when she will visit again.

Here's a look at the menu. Actually, there is no menu - just go up to the counter and point at what you want. Great for those who are just learning Thai, as well as those who have been here for 10 years and too lazy to learn the name of certain dishes. Somjai's offers about 15 different items. I always get the same two - spicy chicken with basil and tofu with vegetables. I guess after five years I should be a bit more adventurous.


Today, Nuch and I also had dessert. Whatever I said about Thai desserts not being sweet - I take it back. Gluay Buad Chee is as rich as I can take. My teeth are still aching.

Side Note:

Gluay Buad Chee, which is bananas soaked in coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk, means "Banana that is becoming a nun", but when pronounced with the wrong tones comes out as "Banana that needs to pee" - so be careful.

No comments: