Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Don't Shoot The Rabbits

While out for dinner this past week, I saw this small, red sign spray-painted on the wall next to where I parked my car. I took notice of it because I was concerned it was a "No Parking" sign.


When I got close, I saw that it was not a "No Parking" sign, but, in fact, a "No Shooting Rabbits" sign.

And, why, you may ask, would floppy-eared, furry rodents be protected in Korat? Because "shooting rabbits" is slang for public urination. In other words - Don't pee on this wall.

Now, I know that indecent exposure laws are much more lax (non-existent) in Thailand than they are in the States, but is it such a problem that a sign like this had to be put up in downtown Korat?

The sidewalk does look a bit damp, but I think it had just rained.

It reminded me of my old friend, Supot, from Chaiyaphum (Peace Corps days). We were having dinner at an outdoor restaurant and he had run off somewhere. When he got back, I asked where he had been. "Hunting rabbits", he replied with a smile.

Being new to Thailand, this had to be explained to me. Once I got the gist of this new and useful slang, Supot looked me in the eyes and like a father teaching his son, he said, "Joe, there are many, many rabbits in Thailand". He paused and turned to gaze at the moonlit rice patties. Then, reaching out, he swept his hand across the dark horizon, and in a dry ominous voice, he told me, "These rabbits of Thailand, they are everywhere" (including the streets of Korat City, apparently).

Listening in on our conversation, our friend, Pi Sam, pointed and said, "I think I see one", then, hustled off into the darkness.

In case you're wondering, women don't shoot rabbits. They pick flowers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just randomly found your website and loved this entry about shooting rabbits. I have been in Thailand for 6 years and it is still a struggle to me to read and speak the Thai language (although I do know what is on your friend's pharmacy sign! :)

I will definitely check in now and again on your blog. Keep up the great writing!