Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chaiyaphum Wedding

A couple weeks ago, my old friend, Supot, from Chaiyaphum gave me a call. The daughter of a friend of ours was getting married and he asked me to join. So, on a Friday afternoon I made the 5 hour trek Northeast to attend an Isaan wedding.

Here are the bride, Nong Sai, and the groom, Boonlerd.


I remember the first time I met Nong Sai. Her mother was a coworker of mine and a close friend. One night there was a large group of us at a restaurant, and Nong Sai,who was 7 or 8 at the time, happened to be sitting next to me. At some point in the evening I caught her staring at me, which was quite common in Chaiyaphum where kids rarely get to see a foreigner in person.

Playing along, I turned and stared back at her. She sat quietly and continued to look straight at me. - white skin, big nose, and by far the biggest human being she's ever seen, then something startled her and she yelled for her mom. I guess she had never seen blue eyes before because she grabbed her mother's arm and asked why I had cat's eyes.

Here are the bride and groom being introduced by their parents.


Here's my friend Supot.


and Selena.


Mr. Sam and his wife

Not sure who these people were, but they were sitting at my table and were very friendly.

the son was very proud of his name brand shirt.

No comments: