Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Grand Opening - Bangkok's Airport Rail Link

Yesterday, the express train from Suvarnabhumi Airport to downtown Bangkok had its grand opening. By chance, I had to renew my passport at the US embassy, so I figured I'd try out Bangkok's newest public transport system.

For 100 Baht I got a round trip ticket.

I don't think I was the first passenger on Bangkok's new Airport Rail Link that day, but I was definitely the only one on that particular run.

This is the upper terminal just after the ticket booth. Just me and a cleaning lady a couple hundred yards down the corridor.

This is the train platform. As they say in Thai - "Ngee-ab!!!!!"


To be honest for my particular trip, the Airport Link was not so convenient. It took me at least 2 hours to get from my front door to the Embassy, and in the process I experienced muliple full-body sweats walking through massive, poorly air-conditioned terminals and going from the Rail Link to the Subway once I got downtown. The best part of the trip was a motorcycle taxi from Lumpini Station to the Embassy that finally cooled me down.

All that being said, the 15 minute ride on the Rail Link did present some unique views of the Bangkok suburbs.

This was taken just outside Suvarnabhumi Airport, as we pulled out from beneath the terminal.


The Airport Link follows the expressway that I've taken dozens of times, but without the obstructions of the road, cars, and railings you're better able to take in the surroundings. It's a 15 minute time warp from a 3rd world agrarian countryside to a new-world concrete jungle.

A few minutes outside of the airport, the land was still fairly rural.


Soon after you could see more development. Here's a school.


Here's a new cookie cutter development being developed right next to an old cookie cutter development.


Just a few minutes from Makkasan station in downtown Bangok, you could see the edges of the city start to grow along with Bangkok's ever present inner-city slums - with satellite cables dishes, of course.

On the way back, I was the only one, too - except for a cable TV news crew from Korea.
This is the Makassan Station in downtown Bangkok.
Being the only one on the train, they had no choice but to interview me. When asked about the best part of the new service, I told them that there were plenty of seats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice report Joe.

I look forward to taking this train soon.