Monday, December 13, 2010

Without Washing The Butt

Unable to sleep on my recent China Eastern flight from Shanghai to Bangkok, I tried to kill some time by reading the in-flight magazine.  Most of it was in Chinese, but there were a few articles about France that had been translated into English. 

The first article was about Dijon.  I assumed the articles were in the magazine to promote China Eastern's Shanghai - Paris route, but if that was the case, China Eastern has a unique way of endearing would-be Chinese tourists to France, or, as you'll see - endearing France to would-be Chinese tourists.


The article was written by a Chinese travel writer.  Below is the opening paragraph:

When I just arrived in France, I learned three simple and practical expressions: Bonjour, Salut, Merci Beaucoup.  In order to memorize the words, I visualized the sound in Chinese: 

Bonjour =  Ben Zhu, which translates as "Silly Swine"
Salut = Sha Lu, which translates as "Silly Donkey"
Merci Beaucoup = Mei Xi Pi Gu, which means "Without Washing the Butt"

I toured many French cities and towns with these three expressions with confidence...


I can only imagine what the Chinese use to remember the sounds of Hello, Goodbye, or Thank you, but I am confident that whereever the Chinese go in the world, they are able to tour many cities and towns "with confidence".

No comments: