Friday, June 17, 2011

Welcome To Le Monte Carlo Cafe

When I visit Haining, China, I stay at the Royal Palace Hotel.  Le Monte Carlo Cafe is the hotel's attempt at an international buffet. 



They have some standard fair, such as rice, noodles, french fries, and dumplings, but there's a large number of dishes that, I think it's safe to say, can not be found on most international menus.

Here's a sampling of some of the "international" dishes I found last week at the Monte Carlo

To start - Jujubes.  Not so bizarre, but they remind me of the movie Ishtar when Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty get lost in the desert because their jujubes did not glow in the dark.



Baked bullfrog with sauce




Jew's ear with garlic - at first, I thought this was just a bad translation, but turns out, it's actually the name of a mushroom.



Kelp - I didn't know humans ate this


Starfish legs - didn't know they ate them either


Cattle Stomach - just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should.



and no Chinese "international" menus is complete without duck tongue.  It seems the Chinese eat every part of the duck (head, beak, skin, tongue, feet) except for the meat.


The above pictures were taken from the web (except for the starfish) because my Blackberry camera sucks.  So, for the sake of posterity here are the original photos from the Monte Carlo Cafe.







No comments: