Saturday, August 20, 2011

Wasabi

Trader Vic's at the Marriott Resort and Spa is being renovated, so last weekend Nuch and I tried the JW Marriott's Sunday Brunch.  The food was fine, but the number of options and atmosphere were both lacking.  Still, a bad day at Sunday Brunch is better than a good day at the office.  In addition, there was a moment when I was briefly reminded of Nuch's and my first date.

Almost 6 years ago on the recommendation of a friend, I asked Nuch out for dinner to a Japanese restaurant called Fuji at Central Pingklao.  It was a blind date, so there were the expected pre-date tensions. Then, when we first met, and I saw that she looked pretty damn good, I grew even more tense.  In fact, I think I can finally admit that she may have been a little out of my league.



Anyway, I do my best to hang with this superstar, pulling out every last joke, quip and anecdote from my bag of tricks.  When I start running out of things to say, Nuch begins telling me how much she loves wasabi.  For me, I tell her that I'm okay with spicy food, but I don't touch wasabi.  In fact, a faint whiff of it forces my nostrils to constrict.



Nuch in a friendly effort to demonstrate her superiority and remind me to think twice before I decide to play in the big leagues again, drowns her sushi in a dish of soi sauce thick with wasabi.



Then, it came out her nose. 




She was human after all, and the rest is history.

No comments: