Sunday, April 20, 2008

Songkran - Pictures from Thailand's Water Festival

Sunday afternoon, I took my 62 year-old mother to Kao San Rd. to celebrate the Songkran Water Festival.

This is actually her third time here, and even though she is well-experienced in the fun and games of the world's largest water fight, nothing can prepare you for the shock of ice-cold water being dumped down your back - even if it's the 20th time it's happened in the last hour.



Quite possibly the oldest person on Kao San Rd that day, my mom was a popular target.

Here I am getting basted with a doughy mix of prickly heat and water.



Words certainly can't describe the atmosphere on Kao San Rd during the Songkran Festival, and unfortunately, pictures still don't do it justice.




I'm guessing this guy has a few "I woke up in Tijuana..." stories.


Entrepreneurs selling frigid water.




Some more random pics.


Some videos...

Here we are in the back of a Tuk-Tuk (3-wheeled motorcycle) on the way home.


My mom getting splashed on the way home. We were sitting ducks at the stop lights.

We got back to the hotel around 4pm just in time for Happy Hour around the pool.
Over the years, I've damaged one cell phone and two cameras during the water festival. I thought I escaped without harm this year, but it looks like the splash attacks during the tuk-tuk ride home may have gotten some moisture in my camera. Hopefully, it'll dry out.

My photo skills are about as weak as my writing skills, so I stole some pics off the web that better represent the frenzy that is Songkran.








No comments: