Monday, December 29, 2008

The Incredible Edible Egg

Growing up, I may have eaten eggs as an ingredient of French Toast, but other than that I never touched them - along with most other foods.

That was until I came to Thailand with the Peace Corps. One of my first stops was a 1 month home stay with a Thai family about 2 hours outside of Bangkok. It was my first introduction to Thai life and more importantly to Thai food.

I remember my first meal being insanely spicy Thai salad, stir fried frog, and eggs. With no alternative, I took the eggs. Turns out the family I stayed with were chicken farmers, and although most meals had some form of chicken (often the innards, while the regular parts were sold at the market), they always had eggs. I ate one or two eggs three times a day for a month, and since then, I put egg on everything - rice, sandwiches, steaks, shellfish, everything but ice cream.

That's why I was happy to hear that Nuch found a 'Pan-fried Egg' restaurant near my home that serves breakfast.

Nuch usually gets a more standard American style breakfast.


I get the Kai Gata (pan fried egg). The pan is served hot off the grill. On top is some ground beef, slices of sweetened pork, and strings of mystery meat. On the side is a minced-pork sandwich, which, after 10 years in Thailand, is finally palatable.


All washed down with a cup of Ovaltine.

No comments: