Sunday, February 21, 2010

Singapore's Night Safari

Singapore doesn't have a lot to offer for regular tourists/ travelers. In fact, most people would describe it as sterile and boring - pointing out that it's against the law to spit or chew gum!!! For me, it's a reminder that a clean, organized city can exist in Southeast Asia, and a yearly trip gives me hope that Bangkok will one day follow it's lead - while still being allowed to spit and chew gum. So, during my mom's recent visit, she joined me on a business trip to see the pride, as well as source of many sour grapes, of SE Asia.

Only a few hours in Singapore and it's easy to appreciate the convenient public transportation system, harmonious intermingling of 4 major cultures, and laissez-faire economic philosophy, but my favorite thing is always the Night Safari, which if not unique to the world, is certainly unique to me.

Aside from being unique, it's also cool - as in 20 degrees cooler than Singapore's year-long Summer afternoons. More importantly, it's kinda fun - like a real-life Where's Waldo because, to be honest, it's not that easy to see - even with the artificial moonlight, and when you finally spot the Malaysian Pygmy Lemur hanging from beneath a shadowy branch, you feel a Cro-Magnon Man/ Night Stalker-like sense of accomplishment.

Here are some pictures I took with the new camera Nuch bought me for my birthday.

This is a porcupine

and a lion. This picture was take from about 100 yards away.


Because I still haven't figured out how my camera works, here are some pictures I stole from the web.





No comments: