Saturday, April 24, 2010

Target Practice

My new condo is right next to a golf course. It's the first thing I see when I get up in the morning and look out over my balcony. There's also a nearby driving range - see below. (You can see the top of my condo off in the distance.)

Also, in this picture you can see a black spot on the grass about 200 yards out and just to the left of the sand traps. This black spot is a dog that lives on the golf course and happened to wander across the driving range the other day while I was hitting some balls.


As soon as the dog appeared, there was an instant buzz along the driving range tees and everyone started taking target practice like there was some kind of sweepstakes. To the left and to the right of me, guys, who moments earlier were leisurely working their way through their buckets, suddenly discovered a new urgency and started whacking balls as fast as the ball machines could tee them up. I even overheard a few bets being placed to see who could hit the dog first. Caught up in the frenzy, I, admittedly, took a few shots myself.

Luckily for this wayward mutt, we're all lousy shots, and he was able to pass unscathed - laughing the entire way, I'm sure.

No comments: