Saturday, October 16, 2010

Perks

After almost 8 years in the sofa business, I finally have some decent sofas.  Since I first arrived in Thailand, I've always rented apartments, and they've always been furnished, so there was never any need to make the investment. 

My apartments mostly had crap sofas, but instead of buying nice ones, there was always a certain comfort/ freedom in knowing that without owning any major household items everything important to me could fit inside my Mr Incredible-sized compact Toyota - a set of golf clubs in the trunk, two suitcases in the back seat with a couple boxes of personal items, and a lap top computer and TV in the passenger seat. 

As happy as I am with my new furniture, it  is with a tinge of regret that I now find myself burdened by my larger-than-toyota-compact possessions, which, ironically, I bought for the sole purpose of bearing the burden of my big ass.

Here's how it all came about.  Earlier this year, my company sent some samples from our Chinese supplier to our Thai supplier.  The idea was to transfer the production from there to here, but in the end nothing happened, so the samples sat, boxed up in the Thai warehouse.   Tired of sticking to the PVC sofas in my apartment, I offered to free up some space in the warehouse and have the samples moved to my living room. 


Being they were samples, only bits and pieces of a particular model were sent over instead of complete 3 seater, 2 seater, chair sets - thus, the mix-n-max sofa showroom look. 


In case you're wondering, I have not changed my nationality - the Union Jack is back in fashion in the UK.  You may also notice that instead of satellite or cable, I have Rabbit Ears to keep my $1000 TV in tune. 



Nuch and I bought a coffee table and a rug to complement the sofas (more possessions!!! - it's a vicious cycle). 


Between the rug and I - it's a battle to see who will be bald first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that an Index rug? I've got the same damn problem with fluff balls all over the house and my feet. Nice setup! I assume you're using the TV to download some college football this year?

JoeB said...

Right - I got it at Index Living Mall. About 3 weeks now and it's still shedding. I was downloading the games until my Gators lost 3 in a row.