Thursday, November 29, 2007

Kao San Night

Kao San Rd. is the backpacker hub of Bangkok and possibly Southeast Asia. 10 years ago when I first came to Thailand, it was a bit shady - reminded me of the bar scene on Tatoonie (sp?) in the first Star Wars movie. Over time, it's given itself successive make-overs and is more high-end, but still maintains its backpacker edge.

Whenever there's a question as to how to waste an evening, Kao San is always an option. Food is cheap and good, there are lots of pubs and music, and travellers from all corners of the earth provide the ever-changing, never disappointing scenery. Here are some pics from a few nights back.

Here's Nuch. We just had dinner and drinks at the Roof Pub.


This "Taxi" is a Kao San Icon. I wish I had a picture of the driver - he's even more decked-out, and he's also got a little poodle that rides with him.


Contraband!!! DVDs just $3 a movie.


Electric Wires outside one of the pubs. The picture is not clear, but there must be a thousand wires running through there. To me this exemplifies Bangkok - It shouldn't work, but it does and everyone has a great time.



Kao San Lights. This picture doesn't do it justice. I need to work on my photo-taking skills.



After a late night, we're walking through the back alley on the way to the parking lot. This is how it actually looked to me.

No comments: