Friday, November 30, 2007

Noodle Shop

Around the corner from my factory is the Noodle Shop. It is a rectangular shop house that only sells noodles. I spend entirely too much time there, but it's convenient, clean, and the service is great - and the noodles are yummy.


My friend/ co-worker Stewart can attest to that.


The place is owned by a family that lives on the 2 floors above the shop. The youngest son takes care of everything - cooking, cleaning, serving. I don't have a picture of him because he moves too fast. I've never seen anything like it in Thailand. He's always barefoot and flying around the shop. As soon as you lift your glass to drink, he's there to wipe the condensation off the table with one hand and refill your glass with the other. I want to give him a job at my factory.


His mother on the other hand always looks like she just woke up. A nice old lady, who just yesterday told me that at 35 it's time for me to have kids. I should have one boy and one girl - that's the best. Besides taking an occasional order that's the first time she's ever spoken to me.

When she sleeps, her arm always hangs over the side of the sofa. I have no idea why.

I should add that the rear of the noodle shop is also their living room.



Every evening around 8pm the "Rod Di" man and his daughter come along. "Rod Di" is an Indian desert - basically, a bread pancake with lots of sugar and lots of sweetened condensed milk, then it's fried in pure butter the color of velveeta cheese.



Here's a picture of his mobile restaurant - a motorcycle with a sidecar/ kitchen.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've decided to begin making obnoxious and annoying comments because it makes me sad every time I see "0 comments" at the end of each article.

Your picture taking skills need work. I have seen most of these items and can't make out what they are myself.....how is some poor honkey in the US supposed to know what it is?!