Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Balu's

Discovered a new restaurant in Korat recently.

I had passed it a hundred times, but it was always empty, and I had assumed it was shut-down until a friend confirmed that yes, it is open, although rarely busy. He also mentioned that they have the best goulash in Thailand. Having never eaten goulash (always associating it with rubber boots used to protect your shoes in the rain) Nuch and I tried it out.

The name of the restaurant is Balu's. I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner, but by his jungle book-esque profile, I'm guessing he named the restaurant after himself. He's a tall European with an enormous belly that seems to begin at his belly button - opposed to the top of his stomach.

It was certainly quiet - we were the only ones there for most of our meal, but the atmosphere was pleasant and a rare, cool breeze and the lush garden made for a good night out.



I expected to see some Hobbits running around.

Being my first goulash experience, I couldn't tell if it was world-class or not, but would certainly try it again. The meaty gravy sauce, which I hadn't had in years seemed to satisfy a craving that I had forgotten was even there. There is no Thai equivalent.

No comments: