Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Civil Disobedience

Some brag about being beat by police at the '68 Democratic Convention, others about stealing a stereo from Radio Shack during the L.A. riots. As for me, I've pretty much been a passive onlooker my entire life. I do remember when I, along with the rest of Orange Park High, walked out of 7th period to protest the firing of our principal, but that was more to get out of 7th period than to make any kind of statement. On the other side of things, when the workers at my factory decided to have a walk out because their year end bonus wasn't high enough (it was 0), I fired the ring leaders, then locked the remaining disgruntled employees out and hired 300 new people. But that was all local news. I've never been a part of something national - that is until now.

You may not have heard, but Thailand's favorite Soap Opera, otherwise known as politics, has a new series in the making. The People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD, a group of concerned citizens who are exercising their right to uphold democracy by kicking out the democratically elected government, is on the rampage again and will not stop until they get what they want. I won't go into details, but what they want invariably depends on their mood - could be world domination, could be a 56" plasma television.

For some reason their preferred method of civil disobedience is causing traffic jams. I think they've finally realized that adding more traffic to the already over-saturated Bangkok roads is like pi$$ing in the ocean because they've now moved to the lonely roads of upcountry Thailand.

Yesterday, as I was driving to Korat, Nuch called to warn me that the PAD were on the road between Bangkok and Korat and had set up a blockade. For a moment, I was concerned - what if today they wanted to make an example of an imperialist American invading their native homeland. Before I could think much more about it, I came across a team of policeman who were redirecting traffic. Sure enough, up ahead the PAD had set up one of their impromptu stages and had stopped traffic going from Bangkok to Korat. On the other side, where I was sent via a break in the median, the road from Korat to Bangkok (now, going both ways) was flowing freely.

Drive out to the middle of nowhere, set up a tent and speakers, and agree with each other on how right you are just to redirect traffic. I probably lost about 30 seconds of my time, but I did get some pictures.


Freedom!!!!


Just after the PAD protest, I passed these enormous pigs!


Okay, so it's not the '68 convention or a sale at Radio Shack courtesy of Rodney King, but at least I can say I was there.

Here are some pictures of the Bangkok protests from the New Mandela.

No comments: