Thursday, August 21, 2008

World's Oldest Dino Footprints

I read in the Thai news yesterday that the oldest Dino-footprints ever discovered (210 million years old) were recently unearthed in Chaiyaphum, the province where I served in the Peace Corps. The article also states that it's likely a new species.

Pretty impressive for a small Thai province. This guy is certainly excited.



Finally, Chaiyaphum has put its mark on the world map - and the Thai map for that matter.


Before I was sent there for my 2-year commitment, I asked several of my Thai trainers about Chaiyaphum - what did they know about it, and what is it famous for. Although they did confirm that it is a province and is, in fact, in Thailand, nobody could tell me where it's located (it's not in the South was the best answer I got). As far as what is Chaiyaphum famous for - after several blank stares, one trainer said she thought she had heard that Chaiyaphum has good rice.


During the months before I left for Thailand, I had dreamed of tropical beaches, meandering rivers, and terraced mountains hidden in the clouds. Chaiyaphum, the geographic center of the place farthest from beaches, rivers, and mountains, turned out to be the Waldo of Thailand without the speed traps - because nobody even drove through it. It was so dull, it made the rice taste good.


But now, look who's laughing. Now, everyone will want to come to Chaiyaphum to see the world's oldest Dino footprints - but they won't, because they can't, because they don't know where Chaiyaphum is, and I'm not telling them.


No comments: