Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sam's Hairdo

One of the great things about Thailand is the 2 dollar hair cut (including tip). One of the bad things is very few Thais know how to cut western hair.

Finding a good barber is like finding a good hat. They're relatively inexpensive, they're readily available, but there are so many styles and variations that's it's near impossible to find the one that's just right for you, and once you do find the one that suits you, you hold on to it. Not sure if that's the best analogy.

Here are some pictures of my barber shop on Soi 37 Jaran Sanitwong Rd. The guy on the left in the grey shirt is my barber.


Not sure what the guy on the right is taking out of his customer's ear.


My barber (never did get his name) is the only guy I know that can cut my hair - and by that I mean cut white guy hair. Everyone else applies Thai hair cutting techniques to my head, and I get a one inch ring around my scalp, trimmed to the skin, while the rest is left, basically, untouched. You can imagine what this would look like after a few months - not unlike Moe Howard.


My barber used to work at a shop just down the street from Nuch's house. About a year ago, I went for a haircut and found out he had moved to another shop. No problem, I just asked the other guy to cut my hair. You may remember the hack job I had when I went to the US last July.

After that I found out where his new shop was located and hunted him down like an obsessed stalker, who had just lost their hat.

Here are some more pictures of Sam's Hairdo.

Not a very clear picture, but you can see the guy on the right is in phase 1 of the Moe, where the guy on the left is in the more advanced phases of his Moe.

No comments: