Monday, March 31, 2008

Bridgend Pub Crawl

I've been in Bridgend for 36 hours and have spent about half that time in a pub. Saturday, our UK Sales Director took me to watch Manchester United beat Aston Villa 4 - 0 at Coach pub.


Then, we hit a round of pubs, so he could see some of his friends - one was having a party to celebrate his return from Thailand after a 2-week vacation.






For dinner we ate at an amazing Indian restaurant. If you didn't know, Fish and Chips is not the most popular food in the UK. It's Chicken Tiki Marsala (or something like that) - basically curry.








Sunday morning, Paul picked me up and we went to meet his dad, Harold. Otherwise known as 'H'. He's 88 years old and still enjoys a few pints with old friends.

We started the day at the Prince of Wales pub, which overlooks the Welsh coastline.




Every Sunday, Paul, his father and local friends (some from schoolboy days) come to have a few pints and talk it up. When the ladies arrived, we had to leave. In the small card room, Paul's father claimed the decibels of the ladies' chatter was just too high for his ageing ears.






In the afternoon we headed to the Old Castle pub to watch the Merseyside Derby (pronounced like Darby) between Liverpool and Everton. Liverpool won 1 - 0 to solidify their spot in the Champions League.



The real reason we were there was the free Indian buffet. I had it for lunch at 2pm and then again for dinner at 6pm. That means that so far 100% of my non-breakfast meals have been Indian. Tonight I plan to get out of that rut.



By 7 pm, jet-lag had kicked in and I was on my way home. This is just an odd etching of a town near Bridgend in the hotel elevator. Reminds me of Led Zeppelin.



No comments: