Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Honeymooners (belated)

After our wedding (a little more than a year ago), Nuch and I didn't have time for a proper honeymoon. I tried to pass off a trip to Krabi with my family as our honeymoon and later, a trip to frigid Moscow, but Nuch wouldn't have it. So, this past week, we finally had our "official" belated Honeymoon with a trip to Phuket.

There's not much to write about - so here are some pics and videos.

Most mornings we had breakfast on the deck that overlooked the main pool and the ocean.




Here's a quick video of the view from the breakfast deck, which unfortunatley, does not do the Marriott justice.

In the breakfast buffet they had honey flowing from actual honeycombs. A little gimmicky, but I had never seen it before.


After breakfast, we usually spent some time walking around the resort gardens



The Marriott's Guest Relations Manager was a baby elephant named Jumbo.


Every morning from the breakfast deck, we could see him wandering along the beach and poolside, mingling with guests. Needless to say, he was very popular.


After breakfast, most days were spent by the pools (more like interconnected lagoons). I'll spare you any pictures of me sunbathing.





We had rented a car, so one day we took a tour of Phuket's scenic sites.

This spot overlooks Kata and Karon beaches.


You can see the 3 coves in the background.


Then, we went to watch the sunset at Cape Promthep.





Nuch is pointing at the southernmost tip of Phuket. In case you're wondering - it was windy that day.


These elephants were donated by people who had made a wish and the wish had come true.

For example, they say I want a raise, and If I get it, I promise to donate a 300 bah (10 USD) wooden elephant at this sanctuary.

I did this during the Florida Tennessee game in 200? during a 4th quarter rally. You may remember Jabar Gaffney catching the winning touchdown - you can thank me for that. True story. In a later blog, I'll post the picture of me donating the elephant.



One afternoon, we were on the beach in front of the Marriott, when this elephant came for a swim. I'm used to seeing elephants in all sorts of places in Thailand, but this is the first time I had never seen one in the ocean.



It was there for about an hour - very playful and had water fights with the guests.



Here's a video.






On Tuesday, we left the resort beach to explore some of the other beaches.

This is Nai Yang beach, where Nuch had stayed before during layovers with Thai Air, when she was flying the regional routes.


Here's a video








This is the menu for the restaurant we ate at.





Nuch remembered this lady from when she was here in the past - famous for her Papaya Salads and cute grandkid.


I've always said that in my next life I want to come back as a beach dog.



That was until I saw the beach elephant. Anyway, beach dog is a close second. We became good friends with this guy here.



I'll spare you every picture of every meal, but this dinner at the Boat House on Kata Beach was particularly nice.



Great view of the beach




Bottle of wine


and Amazing sunset...


Here's a quick video



All good things must come to an end and with vows to return as soon as possible, it was time for us to leave.


No comments: