Friday, March 7, 2008

Payment on Delivery

In my honeymooners blog I posted a picture of Nuch next to a bunch of wooden elephants that had been offered as compensation for wishes that had been granted.


In Thai it's called "gaa bon". It's like making a wish, but when you make the wish, you promise to donate something, if the wish comes true. "Gaa Bon" is usually associated with Hindu gods and goddesses, so if your wish comes true, you would donate something to one of their shrines or temples. The most famous one is the Erawan Temple at the Hyatt Erawan Hotel in downtown Bangkok.



The best part of "gaa bon" is that you don't have to do anything up front, and if your wish does not come true, you don't need to do anything at all - so, what do you have to lose?


That's exactly what I thought on Sunday morning September 17, 2000 while listening to the final minutes of the Florida - Tennessee game on Internet radio.

Tennessee had just gone ahead with a little under 2 minutes remaining. To win the game, the Gators needed to go 91 yards for a touchdown. Having been dominated most of the game by a tough Tennessee defense, the Gator's chances of winning were next to nothing.

Fortunately for the Gators, I had recently learned about "gaa bon" and thought I'd give it a shot. I negotiated with myself and finally decided a 15 USD elephant was worth a Gator victory, then closed my eyes and made my wish.

Lo and behold! with 14 seconds left in the game, Jabar Gaffney made an improbable catch to put the Gators ahead 26 - 23.

Some Tennessee fans still question whether it was a catch at all, but it's no use arguing as destiny was in the hands of the Erawan Shrine and a 15 dollar wooden elephant.

Here's a picture of me holding up my end of the bargain and donating an elephant at the pre-arranged price.




A funny side note to this story - I sent an email to some friends back home describing my "wish". Chris Curcio forwarded my story to Steve Spurrier and Jeremy Foley (UF Athletic Director). I can't find the email, but Jeremy Foley wrote back and said the Gators appreciate all kinds of support, but would not normally rely on black magic to win football games, thanks (or something like that).

No comments: