Monday, December 3, 2007

Banharn's Bad Day (Week)

Banharn Silpa-archa is a former Prime Minister and candidate in the upcoming election. I don't really keep up with Thai politics, but Banharn's picture popped up twice in recent days.

Before I start, I should give a little background - Banharn was the Prime Minister when I first came to Thailand in 1995, and he was the first National leader I had ever seen in person, when he came to Chaiyaphum to give a speech.

Banharn stood at a podium in the middle of the Jao Pau Phaya Lae round-about (the center of Chaiyaphum), while everyone stood at a safe distance across the road to listen - everyone except for the pack of dogs that was running around, sniffing each other's butts in the middle of the road while Banharn was talking about whatever.

That and the fact that he just looks like a sleazy politician has always left me with a bad impression. In addition, at that time I had just started to learn Thai and Banharn's name sounded just like the word 'problem' in Thai (ban-ha). I remember thinking - why would someone name their kid 'problem'? Must have known he was going to be a politician.

So, I had a good laugh when I saw a recent picture of him getting in a quick workout at the Lumpini Park Fitness area while on the campaign trail.



Then, this past weekend, once again on the campaign trail, Banharn, along with his entourage, fell into a 'klong' or canal when a small bridge collapsed. I don't know which particular 'klong' this was, but none of them smell good - at all. The water in a 'klong' is basically low-grade sewage that is safe for rats to drink.

Banharn is the one with oil-slicked hair and white jacket


Muddied, but yet unscathed, Banharn emerges...

....victorious???

Yes, Victorious... and somehow still manages to get the girl!!!!!

No comments: