Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Volcano Chicken and The Birthday Boy

Last night, Nuch and I tried a new seafood restaurant called Sea Time.



The theme was Tropical Resort, and though just off a major thoroughfare, the dense landscaping made it quiet and relaxing. The tables were set around a swimming pool with a waterfall. Behind the waterfall was a glass party room with Monster TV and karaoke. The food was average, but they had a dish called "kai ob poo kao fai" or Volcano Chicken, which was a first for me. Most important were its immaculate, designer bathrooms (a rarity in Thailand).

Here's Nuch by the pool.


You can kinda see the party room in the back to the right.



Here's the view from the top balcony.


We had already finished our dinner, when I saw somebody order this "Volcano Chicken" at another table. I was already full, but had to have one. Quite tasty, but I kept thinking about Joan of Arc and The Smiths' song, Bigmouth Strikes Again.



As I mentioned, the bathrooms were pristine.



The highlight of the evening was the birthday party for the 5 year-old boy that was going on next to us. I don't have a picture, so I'll do my best to explain what happened in words.


- Band finishes playing Happy Birthday


- Kid makes a wish and leans over to blow out the candles


- Sister jumps in and blows out the candles just before he could (thereby, nullifying any wish)


- Kid starts bawling


- I look at Nuch and ask myself - do I really want kids?


- Kid still bawling


- Dad and uncle try to appease him and re-light the birthday candles


- Eyes red and still sniffling, kid takes a deep breath and makes another go at it


- Projectile snot, mucous, tears, saliva explode from his mouth and nose - a continuous stream of cranial fluids - all over the cake. I've never seen anything like it.


I got a picture of a chicken being burnt at the stake, but completely missed snot boy. You'll have to use your imagination.

No comments: