Saturday, December 8, 2007

Factory Tour

I had some time today, so I took a quick tour of the factory that I thought I would share.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, my factory produces the leather covers that are eventually used to make leather sofas and chairs.

In this first video, I start at the entrance to the warehouse, where we receive and inspect all of our incoming hides. At this time, we have about 3.5 million square feet of leather - that's about 70,000 cows! Then, I pan around to where we store all the rolled goods, such as foam and lining. Finally, I move to the production area where the hides are laid out on tables, patterns are fitted on the hides, and then, the patterns pieces are cut from the hides.




In this next video, I start at our pattern racks, where we store the 1.5 million pattern pieces for over 200 models and their variations. Once again, I pan around, and you can see the layout and cutting area from a different angle.





In this last video, I am standing on the steps that lead to the 2nd floor office. I start at the far end of the factory in the sewing department, then I pan back around, and you can see the packing and shipping area in the forefront. In the back you can see the door that leads to the layout and cutting area.



Overall, the factory is about 100,000 sq ft and at this time, we have 750 employees that produce about 10,000 sofas a month.

Here's a picture of me making it all work.

No comments: