Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Day Without Yellow

Every Monday, I have meetings at our Bangkok office, and as I mentioned before, Monday is the day the King of Thailand was born, so everyone wears yellow to honor him.

It's a nice gesture, and at times I wish America had a King to adore. I guess we do, but sequins and bell-bottoms would be difficult to adapt to business attire.

That being said, the sea of yellow that fills the streets can be dizzying, and finding a waitress at a restaurant where everyone, including the waitresses, is wearing yellow can be frustrating. So, last week when I went to my office in Bangkok, I was surprised and secretly pleased to see that everyone had reverted back to normal dress. The King's birthday had just passed, so maybe there was a 2 year limit on wearing yellow. He had also been seen wearing a pink shirt, as well as some other colors, so perhaps the trend had changed.

Here are some pics of an almost Yellow-Free World. A virtual rainbow, except for the bankers who normally wear white.

Just when I thought the world of color had been restored, I realized that this past Monday was a holiday and today was, actually, Tuesday. So, my Mondays as an outcast (I have no yellow shirts) must continue indefinitely. I should have remembered my own words of advice - never underestimate the Thais' love for their King.

No comments: