Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Birthday Merit

Last Saturday was Nuch's 33rd birthday, although she claims to be forever 22 (by the way, I'm forever 45).

We did the dinner thing that evening, but the next day, Nuch, as a tradition, wanted to Tom Boon or make merit. So, Sunday morning on the only day I can sleep in, we woke up at 5 am to give food to the monks.

I really should know more about this, but as it was during my younger years, quite often I was just coming home at 5 am, so I pretty much missed out on this aspect of Thai culture - although I did often wonder what monks were doing out so late.
What I do know is that every morning the monks walk through the neighborhoods near their temple and people have the opportunity to Tom Boon by donating/ offering food.




I had a chance to make merit, too. I gave him a double helping, so I don't have to get up next year.

No comments: